Fundraising for a Youth Worker Position
Australia has some challenges in regards to our caring for our youth.
- I in 4 young Australians are struggling with mental health.
- 1 in 10 young people aged between 12 and 17 years of age will self harm.
- 1 in 13 young Australians will seriously consider a suicide attempt.
- 1 in 40 young Australians will attempt suicide.
- 75% of mental health problems will occur before the age of 25.
- 1 in every 3 girls and 5 boys will experience sexual assault.
These figures are mirrored in our work with youth and our youth programs.
We need to create circles, places for connection and belonging.
To assist the connection and belonging we need a female youth worker to provide support to young people. At the moment we employ a male worker but to ensure equity to connection and belonging we need a female worker.
It will cost us an additional $400 a week to the budget to be able to provide this part time position. A person positioned to create belonging. Looking at previous generations maybe just maybe some of the mental health issues young people are experiencing wouldn’t be happening if previous generations had have been better connected. So to stop the cycle from repeating we need to build connection, community and for that to happen we need agents of change positioned to care, connect and to begin the movement, the cycle of change.